Friday, September 24, 2010

Train up a child in the way he should go...

... And when he is old he will not depart from it. ~Proverbs 22:6

In my opinion, wiser words were never spoken. I also think that part of making a home is training our children to reverence their father, and show him the respect he deserves.
How happy would you be to come home to this:

How would you find the couch? Where is the paper? I don't know about you, but this room would make me very nervous, there is no way I would be able to relax after a long day. I'm sure my husband would feel the same way.

So, what does this have to do with my kids? This is my responsibility, isn't it? My job as a mother is to train my children. Part of that is to teach them how to care for their home. If done correctly, this can become something of a point of pride for our children. They can honor their father and mother by pleasing them! What kid doesn't want to please their parents?... Ok, maybe lots, but mine are young enough to still want to please us.

How do we do this (without duct tape)? This is something that has been on my heart quite often lately. What do I need to do as a mother to teach my children to take pride in pleasing their father?
Answer? Training. Rather than discipline them after they offend, train them in the way they should behave before the behavior becomes a problem. We have recently started doing little "run throughs" before we enter certain situations. It seems to be going well. My youngest, also my craziest, really seems to benefit from a rehearsal, of sorts. It goes something like this:
What will we do when Daddy walks in the door?
~ We will say "hi, daddy!"
Will we jump on Daddy?
~no.
That's right! lets give daddy a few minutes to come in and get settled, then he will sit down and visit with you.

If all the toys and books are put away before daddy comes home, the kids learn to care for their home and recognize that daddy has had a long day and wants to come home to peace, quiet, and gentle adoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment