Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Clean air ~ Look what was in my house!!

So I never thought about it, until my kids started having really bad allergies. We moved about a year ago, and ever since my poor kiddos have been miserable. Stuffy noses, headaches, itchy eyes, you name it, they were dealing with it. What to do? I started with steaming the mattresses, carpets and curtains in their rooms. Nothing. Then, I bought mattress and pillow covers to prevent allergens. Nope. I didn't know what to do about it, other than medicating them every day.
Then one day I thought, "What about the air?" Is the air in this house the problem? So, my dear neighbor gave me a coupon for air duct cleaning. I gave them a call. This is what they found in my house:



I couldn't believe it. That is what we were breathing! No wonder my kids were so bothered! You can actually see the tar from the previous owners cigarettes in the dirt! Gross!!!
I decided to go for the full treatment. As far as I'm concerned, this was a worthy cause. I had them do all the ducts, vents, & mains. (the coupon only covered a portion, of course) Then, I had them sanitize everything. The cost was large, but guess who can breathe now!







Heating duct before and after pictures:
I'm amazed at the results. My daughter hasn't woken up complaining of a sore throat since. My son hasn't coughed at all during the night.

I'm so glad we made this investment.


Here is that same vent after they cleaned it:

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. That's horrible to be breathing in. I know many people know the harmful effects of smoking (yet continue to do so). Some smokers are considerate of second hand smoke effects on others. But it's cases of THIRD hand smoke that don't get much recognition (moving into a house where others smoked indoors & the chemicals that make their way into air vents or even into the furniture). Thank you for posting this & how third hand smoke still has consequences.

    I'm glad you were able to find the allergen problems & get them taken care of before it caused serious health problems.

    ReplyDelete