Saturday, October 2, 2010

Trying my hand at canning Salsa


My husband and I took the kids to the public market today. I got it in my head that I would put up a few jars of salsa. So, off we went in search of tomatoes, and a few other things I needed. We had such a nice time! We saw all the fall decorations, and met Sully, a very nice old St. Bernard who had come to the market with his owners.
It was a beautiful day for an outing!
When I got home, I got to work peeling tomatoes, chopping vegetables and cooking the salsa down. I spent a few hours preparing everything for canning.
Here is the recipe I followed. I took it from cooks.com. It is very good, but more like a Pico De Gallo than a salsa, in my opinion ( I halved it, because it is huge!):


25 or 26 lbs. tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cluster garlic, peeled and chopped
2 bunches celery, chopped
6 lg. bell peppers, chopped
9 lg. onions, chopped
2 bunches cilantro, chopped
Jalapenos to taste
1/2 c. salt
2-3 c. white vinegar
2 tbsp. oregano
Put all ingredients in an stainless steel stockpot (avoid enamel!) and heat through, stirring often.
Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes pints and quarts (hot pack). For cold pack, process 50 minutes. Yields about 4 1/4 gallons salsa. (17 quarts or 34 pints)

I love to use my canned goods at Christmas time. They make great gifts for teachers and bus drivers!
...And of course, you can't make fresh salsa without nachos to put it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment